Sunday, June 19, 2011

Some wise words about fathers

Tomorrow is Father’s Day, so in honor of my father (who passed away in 1985) and of all the other fathers I know who work hard at doing the hardest job of all—parenting, I am posting some inspirational words about fathers and fatherhood. I was fortunate to have had a very close relationship with my father, one that started when I was very young. We shared a love of books and literature that has stayed with me my whole life, and I will never forget our discussions at the dinner table about everything under the sun. My father was my friend as I grew into adulthood; I know that I lost him all too soon. He never got a chance to see how my life changed, nor did he ever get to meet my husband or my stepdaughter. Nevertheless, I know he is watching over me as he always did when I was a child, and I am grateful for the time I did have together with him. He taught me to appreciate the time we have together with our loved ones, that we don’t have them with us on this earth forever, so we should not take them or our time together for granted.

·         It doesn't matter who my father was; it matters who I remember he was.
~ Anne Sexton
·         He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it.  ~Clarence Budington Kelland
·         A truly rich man is one whose children run into his arms when his hands are empty.  ~Author Unknown
·         Father! - to God himself we cannot give a holier name.  ~William Wordsworth
·         Blessed indeed is the man who hears many gentle voices call him father!  ~Lydia M. Child, Philothea: A Romance, 1836
·         Sometimes the poorest man leaves his children the richest inheritance.  ~Ruth E. Renkel
·         A father carries pictures where his money used to be.  ~Author Unknown
·         It is much easier to become a father than to be one.  ~Kent Nerburn, Letters to My Son: Reflections on Becoming a Man, 1994
·         The words that a father speaks to his children in the privacy of home are not heard by the world, but, as in whispering-galleries, they are clearly heard at the end and by posterity.  ~Jean Paul Richter
·         Any man can be a father.  It takes someone special to be a dad.  ~Author Unknown
·         The greatest gift I ever had
Came from God; I call him Dad!
~Author Unknown
·         I love my father as the stars - he's a bright shining example and a happy twinkling in my heart.  ~Terri Guillemets
·         Dad, your guiding hand on my shoulder will remain with me forever.  ~Author Unknown
·         You will find that if you really try to be a father, your child will meet you halfway.  ~Robert Brault, www.robertbrault.com
·         Why are men reluctant to become fathers?  They aren't through being children.  ~Cindy Garner
·         Fathers represent another way of looking at life - the possibility of an alternative dialogue.  ~Louise J. Kaplan, Oneness and Separateness: From Infant to Individual, 1978
·         There's something like a line of gold thread running through a man's words when he talks to his daughter, and gradually over the years it gets to be long enough for you to pick up in your hands and weave into a cloth that feels like love itself.  ~John Gregory Brown, Decorations in a Ruined Cemetery, 1994
·         There are three stages of a man's life:  He believes in Santa Claus, he doesn't believe in Santa Claus, he is Santa Claus.  ~Author Unknown
·         Fatherhood is pretending the present you love most is soap-on-a-rope.  ~Bill Cosby
·         When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around.  But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years.  ~Author unknown, commonly attributed to Mark Twain but no evidence has yet been found for this 

Out In The Country by Three Dog Night

Out in the Country  by Three Dog Night is one of my favorite songs of all time. When I was in high school and learning how to make short mov...