Friday, December 30, 2011

A little humor from authors about writing


·         I’m writing a book. I’ve got the page numbers done.
Steven Wright
·         I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
Douglas Adams
·         A critic is a man who knows the way but can’t drive the car.
Kenneth Tynan
·         I just wrote a book, but don’t go out and buy it yet, because I don’t think it’s finished yet.
Lawrence Welk
·         A blank piece of paper is God’s way of telling us how hard it to be God.
Sidney Sheldon
·         All the words I use in my stories can be found in the dictionary – it’s just a matter of arranging them into the right sentences.
Somerset Maugham
·         Asking a working writer what he thinks about critics is like asking a lamppost how it feels about dogs.
Christopher Hampton
·         A good many young writers make the mistake of enclosing a stamped, self-addressed envelope, big enough for the manuscript to come back in. This is too much of a temptation to the editor.
Ring Lardner
·         A young musician plays scales in his room and only bores his family. A beginning writer, on the other hand, sometimes has the misfortune of getting into print.
Marguerite Yourcenar
·         Writing a novel is like spelunking. You kind of create the right path for yourself. But, boy, are there so many points at which you think, absolutely, I’m going down the wrong hole here.
Chang-rae Lee
·         Most writers can write books faster than publishers can write checks.
Richard Curtis
·         It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn’t give it up because by that time I was too famous.
Robert Benchley
·         Writing a novel is like paddling from Boston to London in a bathtub. Sometimes the damn tub sinks. It’s a wonder that most of them don’t.
Stephen King
·         Being a writer is like having homework every night for the rest of your life.
Lawrence Kasdan
·         Everywhere I go I’m asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don’t stifle enough of them.
Flannery O’Connor
·         It’s a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.
Andrew Jackson
·         There are three rules for writing the novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
Somerset Maugham
·         Your manuscript is both good and original, but the part that is good is not original, and the part that is original is not good.”
Samuel Johnson


Living a small life

I read a short reflection today that made me think about several things. It said that we cannot shut ourselves away from the problems in the...