Saturday, March 27, 2021

Pink Floyd - Us and Them, from the album Dark Side of the Moon


Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd is probably my favorite album of all time. An amazing piece of work from start to finish, every song a masterpiece. The first time I heard it, it blew me away, and still does, all these years later. 

This song, Us and Them, is every bit as relevant now as it was back in 1973. I'm not sure what happened to music over the years, but there is very little music made today that even approaches the creativity found in this album. This music touches your soul; the lyrics are poetry. 


Us And Them

Us and them

And after all we're only ordinary men


Me and you

God only knows it's not what we would choose to do


"Forward!" he cried

From the rear

And the front rank died

And the general sat

And the lines on the map

Moved from side to side


Black and blue

And who knows which is which and who is who?


Up and down

And in the end it's only round and round and round


"Haven't you heard

It's a battle of words?"

The poster bearer cried.

"Listen, son,"

Said the man with the gun,

"There's room for you inside."


"Well, I mean, they're gonna kill ya, so like, if you give 'em a quick sh...short, sharp shock, they don't do it again.

Dig it? I mean he got off light, 'cause I could've given him a thrashin' but I only hit him once.

It's only the difference between right and wrong, innit? I mean good manners don't cost nothing, do they? Eh?"


Down and out

It can't be helped but there's a lot of it about


With, without

And who'll deny it's what the fighting's all about?


Out of the way

It's a busy day

I've got things on my mind

For want of the price

Of tea and a slice

The old man died


Queen Bee

I play The New York Times Spelling Bee  game each day. There are a set number of words that one must find (spell) each day given the letters...