Saturday, September 24, 2022

Another Mary Oliver poem--Almost a Conversation

Almost a Conversation            by Mary Oliver 


I have not really, not yet, talked with otter 
about his life. 

He has so many teeth, he has trouble 
with vowels. 

Wherefore our understanding 
is all body expression— 

he swims like the sleekest fish, 
he dives and exhales and lifts a trail of bubbles. 
Little by little he trusts my eyes 
and my curious body sitting on the shore. 

Sometimes he comes close. 
I admire his whiskers 
and his dark fur which I would rather die than wear. 

He has no words, still what he tells about his life 
is clear. 
He does not own a computer. 
He imagines the river will last forever. 
He does not envy the dry house I live in. 
He does not wonder who or what it is that I worship. 
He wonders, morning after morning, that the river 
is so cold and fresh and alive, and still 
I don’t jump in.

(from Devotions--Penguin Publishing Group) 

Out In The Country by Three Dog Night

Out in the Country  by Three Dog Night is one of my favorite songs of all time. When I was in high school and learning how to make short mov...