Friday, June 17, 2016

What Tennessee Williams said


  • Hell is yourself and the only redemption is when a person puts himself aside to feel deeply for another person.
  • Life is all memory, except for the one present moment that goes by you so quickly you hardly catch it going. 
  • There is a time for departure even when there's no certain place to go. 
  • Luck is believing you're lucky. 
  • Success is blocked by concentrating on it and planning for it... Success is shy - it won't come out while you're watching. 
  • Time is the longest distance between two places. 
  • The strongest influences in my life and my work are always whomever I love. Whomever I love and am with most of the time, or whomever I remember most vividly. I think that's true of everyone, don't you? 
  • Once you fully apprehend the vacuity of a life without struggle, you are equipped with the basic means of salvation. 
  • All of us are guinea pigs in the laboratory of God. Humanity is just a work in progress. 
  • Why did I write? Because I found life unsatisfactory. 
  • To be free is to have achieved your life. 
  • You can be young without money but you can't be old without it. 
  • All cruel people describe themselves as paragons of frankness. 
  • Enthusiasm is the most important thing in life. 
  • Don't look forward to the day you stop suffering, because when it comes you'll know you're dead. 
  • When I stop working the rest of the day is posthumous. I'm only really alive when I'm writing. 
  • I have always been pushed by the negative. The apparent failure of a play sends me back to my typewriter that very night, before the reviews are out. I am more compelled to get back to work than if I had a success. 


Living a small life

I read a short reflection today that made me think about several things. It said that we cannot shut ourselves away from the problems in the...