Monday, August 27, 2018

End of August garden update

We've gone from an extremely warm summer, with temperatures around 85 degrees F (very unusual for Norway) back to a usual Norwegian summer, with temperatures around 70 degrees. It didn't rain much during the months of June or July, which resulted in a long hot dry spell, but once August arrived, it began to rain again. It feels more like autumn now, but the weather forecast is still predicting temperatures around 70 degrees and more sunny summer days. We'll see. In any case, the vegetable/fruit garden is nearing the end of the growing season. We've harvested most of the berries (some blackberries remain), and mini-cucumbers and tomatoes are still ripening on the vines. The pumpkins are finished, but not harvested as of yet. The remaining ears of corn are still on the stalks but have not increased much in size, so my guess is that they won't amount to much. I've harvested about six ears of corn so far and they were fairly good; still too small though, with an average taste, similar to the previous two years. I love watching the corn plants grow, but I wish the corn had that fantastic taste that I love. Maybe I need to try another type of corn.

My experience as a kitchen gardener after three years of planting has taught me that I can safely plant corn, pumpkins, mini-cucumbers, tomatoes, radishes, snap peas, and several kinds of green beans. I get good harvests from them all. Artichoke plants don't do well, no matter what I do. I planted watermelon seeds this year for the first time, and they grew and spread out as vines (much like the pumpkins), but only began to flower about two weeks ago, so there won't be enough time for them to produce melons. Black currants, red currants, raspberries, strawberries and gooseberries grow very well. And this year, we had a good number of blackberries from the bush I planted in the spring of 2016.

My experience with the flower garden for three seasons has taught me that perennials are the way to go if you want to save yourself a lot of work (and save your back as well). I have invested a fair amount of money in perennials, and I hope it will pay off in the coming years. I have planted four hydrangeas, two peonies, a butterfly bush, a lot of lavender, foxglove (Digitalis purpurea), two types of coneflowers (Echinacea--the Norwegians call it 'solhatt'), three different color alum roots or coral bells (Heuchera), a beautiful reddish-brown ninebark (Physocarpus opulifolius Diable D'Or), a lovely reddish-brown wood sorrel (Oxalis), an Astilbe plant (also called false goat's beard), a Hebe Wild Romance shrub, a lily plant, and several types of irises. I've also planted one more rose bush, and two silver ragwort plants--also known as silver dust Dusty Miller (Jacobaea maritima)--not really true perennials. The white climbing rose bushes that I planted on either side of the garden arch have taken off; one of them has reached the top of the arch and I am now trying to weave the branches into the arch itself so that they grow into and around it. They have attached themselves well enough to the arch; during a recent intense wind storm, they kept the top part of the arch from being pulled off the rest of the arch, so that was good to see.

Being a kitchen and flower gardener is one thing; being a farmer is quite another. I've always had respect for farmers, but I have renewed respect for them when I see how dependent they are on good weather for a good harvest. This year was not easy for them in Norway due to the drought conditions. If you depend upon farming for your livelihood, it's a tough life. Irrigating a large farm is nothing like watering a medium-sized garden; in drought conditions, it must border on impossible. I am grateful for the harvest of vegetables and fruit that we got this year, and grateful for the beauty that the flowers bring to our lives. I am grateful simply for the fact that the universe blessed me with a garden at this stage in my life.

Out In The Country by Three Dog Night

Out in the Country  by Three Dog Night is one of my favorite songs of all time. When I was in high school and learning how to make short mov...