Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Two of my favorite prayers


Two of my favorite prayers--they contain all the wisdom needed to help us through our lives. 


The Serenity Prayer        (Reinhold Niebuhr--1892-1971)

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change; 
courage to change the things I can; 
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time; 
enjoying one moment at a time; 
accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; 
taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it; 
trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will; 
that I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
forever in the next. 
Amen.

(It is the first part of this prayer that most people remember, but the last part is equally wise). 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prayer of Saint Francis

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace:
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
where there is sadness, joy.


O divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console,
to be understood as to understand,
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.
Amen.


Living a small life

I read a short reflection today that made me think about several things. It said that we cannot shut ourselves away from the problems in the...