Monday, May 28, 2012

A summer moment

From the future I remember
Days in my past, etched in memory
Close my eyes halfway, I can see the sunlight
Glittering through the tree’s green leaves
Magician’s haze
In the heat of summer, feeling the warm sun
On my bare arms, loving that feeling.
Wondering if heaven had descended
Sitting there next to you on the bench
You reading your magazine
T-shirt slung over your shoulder
Me watching you and the life around us
No particular cares
Us watching the new magpie parents strut about
Three little ones to care for, wondering if they could fly
In case a cat came slinking by.

I can see the future in the present moment
Remembering this day this exact moment in time
And the past from the present
When I remember back to what I thought life would be
When I was younger
It starts with happiness, that warm melting feeling
When boundaries dissolve
Feeling gratitude, because it could all die away or change
And I am grateful that it hasn’t.
Watching the new generation take the place of the old
Spectator in my life, watching others, watching myself
Everyone gets older
Wondering if you have the same thoughts
But I cannot articulate them to you
You would think that I was feeling melancholy
When the opposite was true. 


copyright Paula M. De Angelis
28 May 2012

Dreaming of the garden

My latest poem-- Dreaming of the Garden , copyright 2024 by Paula Mary De Angelis. All rights reserved.   Last night I dreamed of the garden...