Monday, March 30, 2020

My office was never mine to begin with

My husband has had his own office at work for as long as I can remember—twenty-five years or more. I have never officially ‘had my own office’; it has happened that for short periods, I have not shared an office with anyone, but for as long as I can remember, I have shared my two-person work office. I have no complaints, actually. I’ve met some wonderful people who have been officemates and who have become friends. I’ve been lucky in that sense. I can’t imagine what it must be like to share an office with someone with whom you do not get along and who makes your daily life a living hell. People who are loud, arrogant, aggressive, nosy, or who don’t understand the definition of personal boundaries. People who invade your personal space when they talk AT you. Such people do not understand the definition of discussion or conversation, only what their ego-laden brains tell them is important. And of course, we all know that for those people, they are the most important people in the world. Everything of importance happens according to their timetable. It would be hell on earth to share an office with these types of people.

So I have no problem whatsoever working at home. My husband goes to his office and self-isolates there. I stay at home working and self-isolate here during these coronavirus times. This is the beginning of my third week at home full-time. The amount of work is tapering off gradually as people understand that we’re in this for the long haul. Perhaps until the end of April. So they’re stretching out the projects, which is a good idea. We’ll see what the health authorities have to say about when it will be deemed safe to go back to work. In any case, I’ve adjusted to being at home full-time. I’m a structured person, and I live my life as though I was still going to my workplace each day—get up at the same time, shower, eat breakfast, drink my coffee, and get started on my workday. I am thankful for the fact that I CAN do this. I am grateful for my job, that I am still being paid a salary, because many people in private industry have been laid off temporarily. Our leaders trust us to get our work done at home instead of goofing off. It’s a matter of trust and it’s good to know that they trust us. Grateful is the operative word. Work is getting done, even though there is less of it. I don’t mind; it gives me time to reflect and to create new strategies for future research projects. We don’t always have that time when things are at their busiest.



Out In The Country by Three Dog Night

Out in the Country  by Three Dog Night is one of my favorite songs of all time. When I was in high school and learning how to make short mov...