Saturday, April 30, 2022

I Worried, a poem by Mary Oliver

I Worried

by Mary Oliver


I worried a lot. Will the garden grow, will the rivers

flow in the right direction, will the earth turn

as it was taught, and if not how shall

I correct it?


Was I right, was I wrong, will I be forgiven,

can I do better?


Will I ever be able to sing, even the sparrows

can do it and I am, well,

hopeless.


Is my eyesight fading or am I just imagining it,

am I going to get rheumatism,

lockjaw, dementia?


Finally I saw that worrying had come to nothing.

And gave it up. And took my old body

and went out into the morning,

and sang.

Photos from my September NY trip

  Display in front of DeCicco and Sons in Tarrytown NY Tarrytown lighthouse harbor in Kingston NY Kingston-Rhinecliff bridge Esopus Meadows ...